| Back to gregoryharms.com |

August 6, 2026

Frozen Binomials!

 


I have recently become obsessed with pairs of words that appear in a specific order, called frozen binomials. There are lists of them online; I just wanted to do my own. I have come up with an inventory of frozen binomials, which is in no way comprehensive.

I did not include sequential pairs, e.g., search and destroy. One searches then destroys. Same with smash and grab, catch and release, divide and conquer.

I also did not include smaller-to-greater pairs, e.g. nickel and dime.

Friend Michael did a few during a brief phone call.

Feel free to suggest some I missed—of which there are many.

  • Apples and oranges
  • Biscuits and gravy
  • Black and white
  • Bread and butter
  • Brick and mortar
  • Brother and sister
  • Cars and trucks
  • Cats and dogs
  • Cinnamon and sugar
  • Coffee or tea
  • Cook and clean
  • Cookies and milk
  • Cops and robbers
  • Country and Western
  • Cowboys and Indians
  • Cuts and bruises
  • Dollars and cents
  • East and west
  • Fire and brimstone
  • Frankincense and myrrh
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Good and evil
  • Ham and eggs
  • Hammer and chisel
  • Hammer and nails
  • Hammer and tongs
  • Hands and knees
  • Hit or miss
  • Horse and buggy
  • Hot and cold
  • Hugs and kisses
  • Ketchup and mustard
  • Left and right
  • Lemon and lime
  • Loud and clear
  • Man and wife
  • Meat and potatoes
  • Moan and groan
  • Mr. and Mrs.
  • North or south
  • Oil and water
  • Paper or plastic
  • Peanut butter and jelly
  • Pen and pencil
  • Pipes and cigars
  • Piss and moan
  • Pots and pans
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sand and surf
  • Shoes and socks
  • Sick and tired
  • Soap and water
  • Song and dance
  • Stars and stripes
  • Sticks and stones
  • Surf and turf
  • Tea or coffee
  • This or that
  • Thunder and lightening
  • Tooth and nail
  • Up and down
  • Vinegar and oil
  • Vitamins and minerals
  • Wear and tear

Blog Archive