| Back to gregoryharms.com |

August 25, 2024

The Linguini Incident

I thought I would lighten the load a bit and take a breather from politics. I was delighted when I discovered in a recent New York Times article that the film The Linguini Incident, long out of print, was being released in a director’s cut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/24/movies/david-bowie-movie-linguini-incident.html


The film came out in 1992, during Bowie’s Tin Machine period, and I’m pretty sure I am the only person who saw it. This is well before the advent of the information super-highway, so I do not remember how it was I watched it twenty-odd times; we must have taped it while it was on television. I was fanatical about David Bowie and grabbed onto anything he was attached to.


The film, in my humble opinion, is a gem. I realize that I’m largely considering it from the perspective of my 20-year-old self, who was out of his head in general—and who was obsessed with Bowie specifically. That said, it is a charming and wonderfully odd romcom. I just rewatched it with Kate, and it stands up. It was Kate’s first viewing, and she very much enjoyed it. (She is unequivocal when she doesn’t like a movie.)


The film has aged well; its humor and charm remain intact. I must say, Rosanna Arquette is absolutely superb in The Linguini Incident and might outshine David. Nevertheless, if you’re a resident of the DB-hive, well, there are 93 minutes of fun to be had here. ”I thought that rabbit was eating your head.”


Available on Amazon Prime for rental and purchase.




Blog Archive