Do not be distracted by the Democratic Socialism business. AOC is as much a socialist as Bernie, which is to say, she is not. Neither of them are. They’re centrist politicians whose positions track with the majority of Americans.
I know America prefers her presidents male, White, and rich, and who cater to the class they come from. But having someone on Pennsylvania Avenue who is for things like Medicare for all would be nice, no?
I’m not distracted by tokenism. It would be nice to have a female Puerto Rican-American in the White House, for sure. But I do not think being this or that has inherent value. One can be White and rich and be an excellent executive. Likewise, one can be Black and be an awful human being (talking about you, Clarence and Condoleezza). That said, AOC would indeed bring a breath of fresh air to the position.
As for her politics, anyone who has read this blog for a few minutes knows that what gets branded as “progressive” in this country is not. There is nothing progressive about everyone having healthcare. Nothing. Most of the developed world has universal healthcare. Borrowing from German chancellor Otto von Bismarck is progressive?
Into the bargain, she is for workers’ rights—including a $15 federal minimum wage—poverty reduction, and sound policy on the environment. She also has a reasonable approach to immigration, but this is not a priority item for me; concern is generally racist and ultra-nationalist. I advocate for open borders, but I’m not so naive as to think this will catch on anytime soon.
We have already tried a president who makes sexual remarks about his daughter, ridicules people with disabilities, and talks about women like they’re property. Don’t get me wrong: I do not think for one second criticizing Trump is a political position. Medicare for all is a political position. It’s high time Americans voted their interests and not the interests of people who wouldn’t wipe their shoes on them.
Do I think AOC has a chance? That is entirely up to us.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/ng-interactive/2026/aug/15/will-aoc-run-for-president